Chloë Survives a Near-Fatal Experience

On a better day, Chloë follows Heather past the scene of the crime.

Most of this afternoon’s walk had nothing special about it. Darkness had almost fallen when Mike and I were heading home through the South Meadow. That’s Heather in the photo to the right, I know, but that photo wasn’t taken today. It shows about where in the park we were walking when I sucked up a little piece of a stick off the trail to chew. It was more a twig, really, so small that it managed to lodge itself sideways at the top of my throat.

All of a sudden, I was having a hell of a time trying to get it out. It was stuck there pretty good, and my tongue just wasn’t getting it. I wasn’t choking, exactly; it wasn’t far enough down my throat for me to gag. But it was damn uncomfortable, and more than a little scary. I had to let Mike put his fingers into my mouth, which ordinarily I wouldn’t think of doing. Twice, in fact, because the first time his damn fingers couldn’t find the thing. Thankfully, the second time he felt it and was able to pull it out of my throat, freeing me from jumping around with my mouth wide open for the rest of my life, which I doubt would have been all that long.

Boy, was I relieved! I jumped right into Mike’s arms and let him know in no uncertain terms that I would be eternally grateful for him granting me this second lease on life, and that I would absolutely, positively, do everything he tells me to do the very second he gestures or words come out of his mouth.

Luckily, as all those animal psychologists say, dogs really don’t have a memory (if it’s on the Internet, it must be true!). So by the time we got home for dinner, I had conveniently forgotten about any impulsive promises I might have made in the euphoria of the moment.

Chloë contemplates her next move.

Me? Obey? Instantly? Come on, Mike, get real. Where’s the fun in that?


2 responses to “Chloë Survives a Near-Fatal Experience

  1. Chloe – how very, very scary. (Beautiful photo of Heather at the spot of the incident, though.) I am so glad that Mike’s sprung to action and saved you. I must share that a similar experience was had by me and a Wheaton puppy named Henry about 10 years ago. We were walking along not a very scenic path, when Henry started to gasp for air – so I instinctually bent down and flipped him (all 25 pounds) onto his back and reached into his mouth. It happened so quickly, but I recall he seemed to panic – so I put my hand over his nose and blew a quick breath – and he opening his mouth wide – and I retrieved the stick (about 1/4″ in diameter) that too was sideways in his mouth. It was truely a frightening – and memorable event. There were cuddles and kisses in abundance . Please take care….

  2. Don’t worry, Chole, the feeling will pass! Keep exploring. I am
    so glad you were ok!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.